time is dwindling down

Yesterday we took the morning off to go into Malindi and a big group of people ended up coming with us. We managed to shove everyone into three tuktuks while Hannah and I wanted for our buddy, Alfonce, who is a motorbike driver we met the other day. We hopped on his bike and he took us to the Kenya Airways place so we could pay the 15 dollar charge for changing our plane ticket. Now, we don’t have to be at the home base or in Nairobi ever again, which is a really good thing. Although the safari was fun, being in the city of Nairobi was kind of scary and did not put me in a good mood. It’s a million times better in Watamu.

After we got the ticket situation figured out we got back on Alfonce’s bike (he waited for us patiently) and headed to meet all of our new volunteer friends in the tourist market. Of course we got more good gifts…some for ourselves and some for others back home. We ended up finding Tasha, Sioned, and Indre. After the shopping had come to and end we crammed in a tuktuk and headed to the matatu station. We were sold peanuts in a little package after getting on the matatu and then we headed back to the Special School for the afternoon. It was a quiet afternoon so we decided to go to lunch with, Sara. She took us to some little cafe and we all had chicken burgers. They were pretty tasty but it made Hannah and I a little nervous biting into a mystery chicken burger that had some random chunks of..bones..or cartilage..or something. Needless to say, we ate it anyways lol. No one got sick and everyone is still living so I figure it’s totally fine.

Today we woke up and went to the special school. It’s getting pretty laid back there and I tend to take my morning walks with a girl named, Sharon. I help her stand up, take both of her hands in mine and walk backwards, having her follow me. Her face is covered with her smile and she laughs so hard she can barely walk. Her balance is a little iffy so she has taken a few tumbles here and there when I wasn’t holding her hands tight enough. Surprisingly, she laughs the hardest right after she falls on her bum. She’s adorable and she’s in my list of top five children I want to take home. She cries when our walks are over but it’s hard for me to walk in circles while sweating through every inch of my tshirt because of the african sun beating down on me. To seize the tears I hold out my hands and she smacks them, laughs, then makes a popping noise with her mouth, which I, of course, copy. It makes my day to see her so happy and I struggle with the thought of who will go on morning walks with her when I leave 😦

We went out to lunch again with Sara at the little shack place called Mama’s. I chose to play it safe and had a tomato and onion salad thing. It was surprisingly tasty and this time I didn’t feel like poop after eating there. So that’s a bonus. Sara informed us that she wants to paint a mural of the world on a wall at the school and she wants all of us to help. I’m loving the idea of being able to dip a brush into some paint so I am totally excited. Some of the people started the base coat today. I will spend the majority of the day tomorrow tracing all the countries onto the massive wall. I’m excited.

Around 2:00pm we walked down a long dirt road to enter the Gede Ruins. Before we entered the actual ruins we were able to feed monkeys! They climbed all over me as I fed them bananas and oogled at their cute little faces. I would not be opposed to taking one home with me. They are the same kind of monkey that lives in our side yard at the house. Our guides name was Mr. Tea because his last name was Chai so he wanted to be clever. He was very informative and actually made staring at a bunch of broken down rock walls interesting. It’s amazing to see what was left of this huge city that once was filled with people. Mr. Tea explained how inside of the main wall was rich people and anyone else on the outside was poor. The poor people made their walls from just mud and sticks so they have all fallen down but there are holes in the ground that uncover other walls that have yet to be discovered. I asked Mr. Tea if they plan on uncovering more of the underground walls but he said the government is protecting the wildlife above ground so they can’t, which makes sense.

After the ruins we walked through a museum full of things they found in them. There were huge clay pots and silver necklaces and even different kind of coins from other countries the people of Gede traded with.

We also walked through a butterfly exhibit but the man said they had a long day of flying so a lot of them were sleeping. We did see some hatch out of the little cocoons or whatever. It was a cool experience, but our friends who went on sunday had butterflies landing on their face and all over them. Jealous.

Some volunteers left today but more came as well. We have a steady flow of new people and it’s just a reminder that we will soon be replaced as well.

Random little interesting thing: a lot of Italians settled here recently and opened businesses. They only hire other Italians, which takes away jobs from the locals. In order to even try and work for them they try and learn Italian. It seems okay until you’re walking down the street and little kids say, “Chao, carmello!” it turns out a lot of the Italians that come here walk down the streets and throw sweets and candies along with money to the kids so whenever they see a white person they assume they’re Italian. I’m getting really tired of hearing “Chao” so i make sure i say, “JAMBO” as loudly as possible without sounding rude.

It’s been a long day and I’m ready for long nights sleep.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s